Sunday, 12 October 2014

Spicy Thai squash soup


It's been mighty quiet around here for a while, sorry if you missed me! But I'm back and full of lots of new tasty recipes!

Now the nights are drawing in again, it seems only right to return with a lovely autumnal soup to warm us up.

So I want to share with you this recipe that's something a bit different to a standard squash soup - with an Oriental vibe! I just love this kind of food, the classic combo of spicy, salty, sweet and sour flavours are delicious. There's something so exotic and exciting about it, that kind of transports me to those far off lands....not that I've ever been there- but it's on the list!

This soup is very easy to throw together, and a great way of jazzing up whatever squash you have. The squash I used from our Local Greens veg bag was an acorn squash, a small winter squash which is similar to butternut but slightly sweeter. But pumpkin or butternut would work just as well.

I fully recommend you to invest in a hand held blender if you don't already have one. I don't know what I'd do without mine - I'd definitely make a lot less soup and that's no way to live. If, like me, you have a tiny rented kitchen and not huge amounts of money to spend on fancy kitchen gadgets, then a nifty handheld blender is the way to go. I use mine for all sorts of soups, smoothies, hummus and sauces. You can pick one up pretty cheap (mine is this Phillips model) - so go get one!

Spicy Thai squash soup
(Serves 2)

1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
2 tsp lemongrass (I used Sainsbury's pre-chopped lemongrass, as I'm lazy and it's easier to find than fresh stuff!)
pinch of chilli flakes
1 acorn squash, peeled and diced
500ml vegetable stock
75ml coconut milk
juice of 1/2 lime
a few coriander leaves to garnish (optional)

1. Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilli in olive oil until softened.
2. Add the squash and stock, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until tender.
3. Stir through the coconut milk and lime juice, and season.
4. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
5. Garnish with coriander if using.



No comments:

Post a Comment